In Product Gym, we have encountered many people that have been either students or have been teachers at our courses that have dealt with noteworthy companies like Etsy. The Brooklyn-based creative E-commerce company has been heavily pursued as a great place to work at by Product Managers and non-Product Managers alike. However, when it comes to applying for a Product Manager position at Etsy, it becomes very hard to get in, as they are obviously selective with any position. It’s therefore very important to gain any advantages you may have the opportunity to have.
The types of applicants that Etsy are interested in are generally people that are curious about how to improve a product that they are in control of and doing things that are “outside the box.” Their hiring teams look for diversity in the workplace in terms of demographics as well as diversity in thought and mindset, so they would prefer someone that thinks differently and away from the common norm. Their focus for Product Managers at Etsy to have is on A/B testing, among other things, as they are intent on being mobile-first. Being an online marketplace, Etsy’s Product Managers typically possess a technical background and an interest in E-Commerce and have a common goal in trying to improve customer experiences.
We here at Product Gym have provided access to questions that we believe will be asked in the first and second round interviews so people wanting to work at Etsy but worried about being unprepared will have a leg up on their competition and answer these questions assertively with heavy preparation.
Brooklyn/New York Etsy Interview Round 1 –
- How much do you know about Etsy?
- Are you actively looking for new opportunities?
- What’s motivating you to look for new opportunities at this moment?
- Where are you in your search? Do you have any final interviews scheduled?
- What types and sizes of companies are you targeting?
- How would you describe your ideal opportunity?
- What is your ideal compensation?
Brooklyn/New York Etsy Interview Round 2 –
- Why have you stayed at your current company for so long?
- What would you improve about our website and/or web app?
- What do you believe that we can do that can improve customers’ experience on our website and app?
- Discuss your experiences with A/B testing in detail.
- How would you utilize A/B testing to determine what works with our customers/consumers?
- How would you launch our product(s) in countries outside in the United States such as France?
- How would you increase customer acquisition in foreign countries that are not in contact with Etsy?
- What is a product that you use and are currently enjoying?
- How do you prioritize which projects to work on above others?