In Product Gym, we have encountered many people that have been either student or have been teachers at our courses that have dealt with noteworthy companies like Expedia. The online travel booking website and company has been heavily pursued as a great place to work at by Product Managers and non-product Managers alike. However, when it comes to applying for a Product Manager position at Expedia, it becomes very hard to get in, as they are obviously selective with any position. It’s therefore very important to gain any advantages you may have the opportunity to have.
Thankfully, we here at Product Gym have had experience dealing with the application process at Expedia and have written some basic questions that we believe will be asked by any of their recruiters or hiring staff at any stage of the interview process after applying. As a website with millions of users, Expedia will have an eye on prospective hires having a design background, a strong product sense, and a proven leader with strong leadership skills. We here at Product Gym have provided access to questions broken up into two categories – the more personal and the more intricate product and technical-related – that will be asked in the first couple of rounds of the standard interview process so people wanting to work at Expedia but worried about being unprepared will have a leg up on their competition and answer these questions with heavy preparation.
Expedia Product Manager (in Seattle) Interview (Round 1-2)
Personal Questions (Experience, Behavior, etc.)
- Is there a reason why you are looking for a new opportunity?
- Are you actively interviewing? Any onsite interviews yet?
- What would be your biggest motivations in making the switch into
- Describe a situation where you used your leadership skills to help your project team solve a difficult challenge.
- How many years of Product Management experience do you have?
- Describe a situation where you used your technical knowledge and/or skills to solve a technical-related issue.
- this industry?
- What is your salary expectations?
- Describe a situation where you dealt with your company’s internal stakeholders.
- How do you deal with stress, pressure, and unreasonable demands?
Technical and Product-Related Questions:
- How would you manage a Product Management team? How would you manage an engineering and/or tech team?
- What are the main things you would look for when you are running a cross-team program?
- How would you describe the critical path and float in a program?
- How would you manage cross-team dependencies and deliverables?
- What are the tools you would use to ensure your program will succeed?
- How do you decide if you would like to use more traditional project management programs compared to the newer Agile programs?
- If you come about an early delay in one of your milestones, what would you do?
- How would you increase the efficiency of your development team?
- Describe a situation when you had conflicting responsibilities in a project and how you handled it.